Sunday, March 8, 2015

Book Review | "Yes Please"

One of my goals for 2015 is to read more books. I know that listening to a book isn't technically the same as reading it, but whatever! I have a half hour drive to work and I thought that listening to something other than junk radio on the way in would be a better use of time. I have listened to several books recently and "Yes Please" remains my favorite. 

When I downloaded this book I honestly didn't know what to expect. The books that I typically go for are nonfiction crime or psychological works, but something drew me to this. Before I read this, I was not an Amy Poehler fan. I didn't dislike her, I just never really payed much attention to her. After listening to this, I can say that she is one of my biggest female role models. I was under the assumption that this was suppose to be a memoir, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was much more. She tells bits and pieces of her life and sprinkles in a whole lot of advise. She's realistic about life and the demons that everyone has in their mind. She speaks to the reader in such a loving and motherly way that it's unreal. Parts of this book made me laugh and others made me cry. She spends just enough time on each topic so that it is not depressing or overly goofy. I am truly sad every time I finish this book. 

I wanted to write a very short review on this book today because it is International Women's Day. She builds up other women rather than tearing them down. She is an inspiration. As I started the book I was very uncertain that I would enjoy it. After I finished the book, I felt like I hadn't gotten my fill yet and listened to it a second time. Two of my favorite quotes from her are, "Yes, please." and "Good for you. Not for me." 

In the audio version, she has several guests read various parts of the book. Two of these special guests were her mother and father. It is mind-blowing to see how down-to-earth she remains after all the years of fame. I highly recommend this book. It's a great read for women of all ages. She is empowering and everything I hope to be. If you don't believe me when I say she's awesome, google, "Amy Poehler SNL rap."

If you've read or listened to this book, leave a comment down below letting me know what your thoughts are on this. I look forward to reading them. Happy International Women's Day!

XOXO,
Steph

1 comment:

Stevie Storck said...

I love listening to audio books on my commute! You're right it is way better than listening to the radio, even though Elvis Duran is pretty entertaining... I'll have to add this book to my list. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!

My Beauty Trash

Why is it that it's always all or nothing? Seriously?! It's been a hot minute since I filmed BUT I'm so happy that I had the opp...